Home to East Carolina University (North Carolina’s third largest) and Vidant Medical Center, Greenville touts a diverse economic base with major employers representing the pharmaceutical, boating and agricultural industries, among many others.
Lovers of the outdoors will revel in the many parks, athletic facilities and greenways — as well as the beautiful Tar River that flows through town. Festivals, farmers’ markets and celebrations bring the community together, enhancing a vibrant quality of life.
Greenville’s proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and North Carolina’s acclaimed Outer Banks offers even more opportunities for nature lovers, boaters and beachcombers of all ages to enjoy the outdoors.
The Greenville team’s picks for the top five things to do in Greenville, N.C.
1. Local Festivals: Numerous small towns throughout Eastern N.C. feature festivals celebrating their own points of pride, including Dogwood, Strawberry, Collard and Watermelon festivals. Music, events and food make for great family fun.
2. East Carolina University Events- East Carolina University helps make Greenville the cultural center of Eastern N.C.—so whether fine arts, educational programming or sporting events are your thing, there is something for you.
3. Greenway: Following the meandering Tar River, the greenway provides the perfect spot for a run, bike ride or leisurely evening stroll.
4. Pirate Fest: An annual favorite, people come together to spend a spring weekend celebrating their inner pirate with food and activities for all ages and lots of live music.
5. A day by (or on) the water: If you love rivers, water sports and the beach, you will love Greenville. Dozens of nearby seaside towns, rivers and inlets make it a water lover’s dream. Best of all, acclaimed Crystal Coast and Outer Banks beaches are just a short drive from Greenville.